What is the SmarthGrowth program?
The SmartGrowth Program provides SMEs in southern Ontario’s food and agri-technology sectors access to acceleration financing to support scale-up and expansion projects. SmartGrowth invites food and agri-tech businesses with innovative technologies to lead impactful projects that will accelerate their business growth and profitability while strengthening the regional economy for southern Ontario and Canada’s agri-technology industries.
Bioenterprise’s SmartGrowth program is a matching fund that provides eligible enterprises with:
- Up to $100,000 in non-repayable funding
- Coaching/mentorship support services
Enterprises applying for the Bioenterprise SmartGrowth Program must:
- Be incorporated in Canada and headquartered in southern Ontario (regions are outlined in Appendix B of the Program Guide)
- Be a for-profit SME with a technology or technologies at or beyond
- Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 7+ stage of development only
- Operate in the agri-technology sector
- Have less than 500 employees and be generating a minimum of $200,000 in sales revenues annually
- Be a member of Canada’s Food & Agri-Tech Engine
- Additional program details, including eligible project types, are described in the 2021-2022 SmartGrowth Program Guide.
How do I apply?
All application templates, including the Program Guide and Applicant Guides, are available in the Application Tool Kit (see below).
If your enterprise meets all of the eligibility criteria, you can apply to the SmartGrowth Program by following these steps:
- Complete the SmartGrowth Letter of Intent (LOI) Written Proposal Template
- Complete the SmartGrowth LOI Intake Form. Attach the completed LOI Written Proposal along with a business plan and/or pitch deck and submit
Please reference Applicant Guide I for detailed instructions on how to submit a Letter of Intent (LOI). Upon submitting the LOI, a confirmation email will be provided. All LOIs received during open intake periods will be reviewed and assessed. All Applicants will be informed of decisions in writing. Only successful LOI applicants will be invited to submit a Full Application.
For any additional details or questions please refer to the SmartGrowth FAQ document below. For any remaining questions, email Alexandra Coccari, Program Manager.
Considering a project and are unsure if you meet the revenue requirements? Use the Eligible Annual Revenue Calculator
Tools & Templates
2021-22 SmartGrowth Program Guide
Submit a Letter of Intent (LOI)
2021-22 Applicant Guide I: Letter of Intent
2021-22 SmartGrowth LOI: Written Proposal Template
2022-23 SmartGrowth LOI Intake Form (attach the Written Proposal Template and submit)
Note: 2022-23 SmartGrowth LOI Intake Form will not be accessible until the program opens in January, 2022
2021-22 Applicant Guide II: Full Application
Written Proposal Template (provided directly to successful LOI applicants only).
This project is funded by the Government of Canada