Not Currently Accepting Applications
Next intake period is set to open January, 2022.
We’re looking for the most innovative agriculture, agri-food and agri-tech companies in southern Ontario who are ready to scale-up and expand. If that’s your company, tell us about it.
WHAT IS THE SMARTGROWTH PROGRAM?
The SmartGrowth Program provides SMEs in southern Ontario’s food and agri-technology sectors access to acceleration financing to support scale-up and expansion projects. SmartGrowth invites food and agri-tech businesses with innovative technologies to lead impactful projects that will accelerate their business growth and profitability while strengthening the regional economy for southern Ontario and Canada’s agri-technology industries.
Bioenterprise’s SmartGrowth program is a matching fund that provides eligible enterprises with:
- Up to $100,000 in non-repayable funding
- Coaching/mentorship support services
Enterprises applying for the Bioenterprise SmartGrowth Program must:
- Be incorporated in Canada and headquartered in southern Ontario (regions are outlined in Appendix B of the Program Guide)
- Be a for-profit SME with a technology or technologies at or beyond Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 7+ stage of development only
- Operate in the agri-technology sector
- Have less than 500 employees and be generating a minimum of $200,000 in sales revenues annually
- Be a member of Canada’s Food & Agri-Tech Engine
Additional program details, including eligible project types, are described in the 2021-2022 SmartGrowth Program Guide.
Interested applicants can request up to 40% of the total budget of the eligible project:
- The minimum eligible project budget is $100,000 in which the SmartGrowth Program will contribute $40,000 (40%)
- The maximum contribution from the SmartGrowth Program is $100,000 on eligible projects with a budget of $250,000 or greater
- Maximum funding per project will be limited to 20% of annual revenues of the Applicant
HOW DO I APPLY?
All application templates, including the Program Guide and Applicant Guides, are available in the Application Tool Kit (see below).
If your enterprise meets all of the eligibility criteria, you can apply to the SmartGrowth Program by following these steps:
- Complete the SmartGrowth Letter of Intent (LOI) Written Proposal Template
- Complete the SmartGrowth LOI Intake Form
- Attach the completed LOI Written Proposal along with a business plan and/or pitch deck and submit
Please reference Applicant Guide I for detailed instructions on how to submit a Letter of Intent (LOI). Upon submitting the LOI, a confirmation email will be provided. All LOIs received during open intake periods will be reviewed and assessed. All Applicants will be informed of decisions in writing. Only successful LOI applicants will be invited to submit a Full Application.
All tools and templates needed to apply to the SmartGrowth Program can be found below:
Apply Now: Submit a Letter of Intent (LOI)
2022-23 SmartGrowth LOI Intake Form (attach the Written Proposal Template and submit)
Considering a project and are unsure if you meet the revenue requirements? Use the Eligible Annual Revenue Calculator
Note: 2022-23 SmartGrowth LOI Intake Form will not be accessible until the program opens in January, 2022
2021-22 SmartGrowth Full Application: Written Proposal Template (provided directly to successful LOI applicants only)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Monday January 4, 2021 Program Launch
Friday January 22, 2021 at 12pm LOI Submission Deadline
Friday January 29, 2021 Shortlisted Applicants Invited to Full App
Thursday February 18, 2021 at 12pm Full Application Submission Deadline
Monday March 15, 2021 Successful Applicants Notified