What is the SmartGrowth Program?
The Bioenterprise SmartGrowth Program provides SME’s in southern Ontario’s agri-technology sector access to acceleration financing to support scale-up and expansion projects. SmartGrowth invites innovative food and agri-businesses with innovative technologies to lead impactful projects that will accelerate their business growth and profitability while strengthening the regional economy for southern Ontario’s agri-technology industries.
Bioenterprise’s SmartGrowth Program is a matching fund that provides eligible enterprises with:
- Up to $100,000 in acceleration financing
(to be matched by recipient enterprise as per the Program Guide)
- Coaching/mentorship support services
(e.g. IP, Regulatory, Legal, Financial, investment preparation and access to Bioenterprise global network)
Am I Eligible?
Enterprises applying for the Bioenterprise SmartGrowth Program must:
- be incorporated in Canada and headquartered in southern Ontario (regions are outlined in Appendix B of the Program Guide).
- be a for-profit SME with a technology or technologies at or beyond TRL-7+ stage of development only (TRL stages are outlined in Appendix A of the Program Guide).
- operate in the agri-technology sector (as defined in the Program Guide).
- have less than 500 employees and be generating a minimum of $200,000 in sales revenues annually.
- be a member of Canada’s Food & Agri-Tech Engine (as described in the Program Guide).
Additional program details, including eligible project types, are described in the 2020-2021 SmartGrowth Program Guide.
How to Apply
All Templates are available in the Application Tool Kit (see below).
If your enterprise meets all of the eligibility criteria, you can apply to the SmartGrowth Program by following these steps:
- Complete the SmartGrowth Letter of Intent (LOI) Written Proposal template
- Attach a business plan and/or pitch deck to the LOI Intake Form
- Attach the completed LOI Written Proposal
- Complete the SmartGrowth LOI Intake Form
Upon submitting the LOI, a confirmation email will be provided. All LOIs received during open intake periods will be reviewed and assessed. All applicants will be informed of decisions in writing. Only successful LOI applicants will be invited to submit a Full Application. Funding awards under the SmartGrowth Program will be announced upon completion of the Full Application review process. Successful award recipients will enter into a Contribution Agreement with Bioenterprise.
SmartGrowth Tool Kit
All tools and templates needed to submit a LOI can be found here:
- Download the 2020-21 SmartGrowth Program Guide here.
- Download the 2020-21 Applicant Guide I: Letter of Intent here.
- Download the SmartGrowth Letter of Intent: Written Proposal Template here.
The SmartGrowth LOI Intake Form will be available during the next intake period. (Winter 2021)