Location: Bioenterprise Head Office (Guelph, ON)
Reports to: Dave Smardon, CEO & President
519-821-2960 ext 249
Type of Position: Full-time
Hours: 37.5 hours/wk
Bioenterprise Canada Corporation is Canada’s Food & Agri-Tech Engine. Through The Engine, Bioenterprise connects the community of entrepreneurs, researchers, accelerators, and service partners, committed to driving innovation across Canada in the agri-tech and food-tech sectors. As part of this effort, Bioenterprise delivers regional, provincial, and national programs, in partnership with government and our industry partners.
The Director of Programs is responsible for directing and guiding the programs team that is responsible for the development, management, and growth of commercialization funding and support programs for Bioenterprise clients and our funding partners. The position will also be responsible for seeking out / pursuing new program opportunities across Canada and assisting with the development of proposals to bring such opportunities to fruition. The candidate is tasked with the collaborative development and management of programs to support the organization’s strategic direction and in managing the team assigned to these efforts. In particular, the successful candidate will direct the delivery of new, ongoing, or renewed funding programs targeted to start-ups, scale-ups and SMEs. This role requires management of program budgets, operating plans and reporting for the programs.
The Director role manages Senior Program Manager(s), Program Manager(s) and Program Coordinators planning and execution of programs.
This position is based on site within Bioenterprise’s head office, located in Guelph, Ontario. It requires occasional travel within Canada to partner locations or external event sites. Expectation of 37.5-hour work week with standard vacation time (depending on experience & qualifications). Appearance shall be in a professional, office-like attire. To be successful in this role, the candidate will be a team-oriented individual with strong personnel management skills. Prior experience in managing programs, planning, administration, and reporting is essential.
• Organizing programs and activities in accordance with the mission and goals of Bioenterprise
• Supporting Bioenterprise partners in the delivery of co-managed programs
• Working with the Bioenterprise team and Bioenterprise’s partners to develop new programs that support the strategic direction of the organization
• Creating and managing towards long-term goals
• Managing a budget and operating plan for new and ongoing programs
• Work with the VP, Finance, Member Services Manager, and Innovation Advisors to develop an evaluation method to assess program strengths and identify areas for improvement on a regular basis
• Producing accurate and timely reporting of program(s) status throughout the life cycle of the program(s); adhere to government stakeholder reporting requirements
• Collaborating with Bioenterprise teams (senior management and marketing/communications) to develop content for program funding proposals and communication products
• Ensuring goals are met in areas including customer/client satisfaction, quality and team performance
• Implementing and managing changes and interventions to ensure program goals are achieved
• Meeting with stakeholders to make communication easy and transparent regarding program issues and decisions on services/funding
• Participating in strategic planning initiatives
• Participating in business development activities to enhance Bioenterprise’s presence, exposure, and engagement across Canada through development of MOUs, strategic networking, and connecting with the client base
• Execute other responsibilities or tasks not yet defined but germane to the role and its evolution
• Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in business or related field
• Proven experience in program development and management
• Understanding of project management tools and techniques
• Proven stakeholder management skills
• Strong collaboration and communication skills (written & oral)
• Computer and generally tech-savvy
• Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
Candidate Skills & Traits:
• Exceptional organizational skills and great attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal, communications skills (written & verbal) and problem-solving skills
• Must be able to work across teams and work well within Bioenterprise’s network of partners, clients, and funders/investors
• Multitasking and administrative skills to manage several large- and small-scale activities simultaneously
• Reporting on the impact of programs and making recommendations for future initiatives
• Ability to learn and recall information at a fast pace
• Willingness to take on new challenges independently and in a team environment
• Experience and/or exposure in the agriculture/agri-food sector is an asset
Interested applicants should forward their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
With 18+ years of experience, Bioenterprise Canada Corporation helps food & agri-tech businesses innovate and grow. We know agri-tech and work hands-on, providing customized innovation support services, industry and technical expertise and global connections to advance innovative agri-businesses. For more information, visit www.bioenterprise.ca.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.